As part of this year’s 16 Days Campaign Against Gender Based Violence (November 25 – December 10 2015), join us in commemorating the women human rights defenders (WHRDs) who have died in the last 12 months and help us celebrate their lives and contributions to the defense of human rights.
AWID’s Tribute to Women Human Rights Defenders Who Are No Longer With Us is an online photo exhibition featuring photographs and biographies of women’s rights leaders from around the world – honors WHRDs who have died and whose contributions to the advancement of human rights are very much missed.
While many of these women have passed away due to accidents, illnesses and natural disasters, about one third of those honored in the tribute were killed or disappeared due to their activism.
WHRDs are at the forefront of struggles to defend human rights. Yet no country in the world is entirely safe for WHRDs. WHRDs are attacked for who they are – their gender identity, and for what they do – fight for human rights for all.
We invite you to share the stories of WHRDs from your country or region who are no longer with us.
Read the submission guidelines below and send your contribution to email@example.com with the subject line “AWID Tribute 2015” by September 30th, 2015.
Your submission should include:
- A short biography of the women human rights defender who is no longer with us that includes:
- 6-8 sentences in length
- name of the WHRD or feminist activist
- birth date and date of death or disappearance
- country of origin
- short description of the work she carried out
- explanation of the circumstances of their death or disappearance
- an update on where the case stands today (Has there been an effective investigation? Has anyone been prosecuted or brought to justice? Does the case remain in impunity?)
- a link to any urgent action that might exist online with regards to the case
- A picture with the following specifications:
- 4 inches X 6 inches or 10.16 centimeters X 15.24 centimeters
- resolution of 1200×1800 pixels (minimum)
- if the picture is scanned, a resolution of 300 dpi (dots per inch) or above
- if the picture was taken with a digital camera, a resolution of 6 MP (megapixels) or above
- the size of the attachment you send us should not be more than 5 MB (megabytes)
Please note: by sending a photo you are giving AWID permission to use the photograph. Pictures downloaded from websites may not be of good quality for printing or audiovisual use and may infringe copyright. We encourage you to send us pictures from your cameras, albums, personal collections or with prior permissions from partner organizations.